Pages

Monday, October 1, 2012

Belgian Honey Single – Standard and Soured

I have come up with an easy way to get my sour pipeline going.  I am going to start making 12 gallons of some of my beers.  Some of the beers will be fermented like normal…some will be fermented with sour blends.

With this beer I decided to ferment the whole 12 gallons with the same yeast.  The second half of this batch was racked into a Better Bottle with Wyeast Roeselare Blend and 1 medium toast oak spiral that I boiled for 30 minutes, changing the water every 10 minutes.  I don’t want much oak flavor, just a place for the bugs to live.

I racked 5 gallons of the standard into a keg which is in my kegerator carbing.  The beer tastes great flat.  I have high hopes for this beer once it is carbed and ready to go.

Malt Bill
Pounds Type
12 Pilsner
4 Honey Malt
Hops
IBU Type Time
15 Tettnanger 60
Mash Schedule
Temp Time
158F 60 minutes
170F Batch Sparge
170F Batch Sparge
Yeast WLP-400
Stats
12 gal 80% efficiency IBU: 15

You can see that this beer has a very simple grain bill.  The beer finished out at about 1.012 which gives it a good mouth feel.  With a FG of 1.012 that gives the Roeselare Blend some residual sugars to eat but the beer shouldn’t be overwhelmingly sour.

My next beer I am doing this with is a Dunkleweizen which I will ferment the second half of the batch with the sour blend from the beginning.  Thinking about calling the soured half  “Alte Braune” – Old Brown in German.

No comments:

Post a Comment