My first Pub Ale turned out a bit on the sweet side. My wife said it was still tasty, and I liked it …but it wasn’t what I was looking to brew. This next beer will be used to either blend with the first one or be served as a second beer. I bumped up the gravity a bit and gave it a “church mash”.
“Church Mash” - Mashed in with the grains and let it sit while I went to church. I started the mash early and got to it a bit later after church so the mash was 3 hours. At the end of the mash it was pretty thick. I added my first sparge water just above the mash temperature to bring the grain bed back up to 152* and then vorlof’d the beer and then drained. My second edition of sparge water was at mash out temperature.
I found some old Goldings in my freezer from last year. They still smelled passable so I adjusted their AA rating down from 5.8% to 5.2% and used them as my bittering hops. I used my fresh EK Goldings as my flavor and aroma hops. This years batch seems to be quite a bit better than last years.
The beer is sitting in a corny keg in my garage and will be fermented either tomorrow or Tuesday. I haven’t checked on the original pub ale in a week or so. Maybe I’ll check on it and be surprised. I can think of worse problems than having 10 good gallons of beer on hand!
|26||UK Kent Golding||60|
|7||East Kent Golding||15|
|1 Oz||East Kent Golding|| |
|5.5 gal||80% efficiency||IBU: 36|