Pages

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Belgian Single/Apple Ale

 

20130316_154733

This is the second beer that I have brewed for the Brew-n-Que event.  I brewed a larger batch of this beer to split and make a second beer with will probably be for my own use.  I recently tried a new ale on the market, Redd’s Apple Ale.  Although this beer was a little sweet, I liked it quite a bit.  I am hoping to make something similar to Redd’s with the second half of the batch.

For the Apple Ale I am going to take 2 gallons of Mott’s apple juice and 3.5 gallons of the Belgian single.  I am going to ferment this with S-04 and keg.  I am going to add apple juice concentrate to to the beer when I keg it to give it additional apple flavor and some sweetness.  Kegging seems my best option since the ale will be back sweetened but I don’t want it to continue to ferment.

The Belgian Single is a beer that I have brewed before.  This beer is a great session beer and should go over real well.  People who usually aren’t beer drinkers like this beer.  It is low on the bittering side, malty, and slightly sweet.  I brewed a bit extra to be able to do a real wort starter which is currently on the stir plate with the wlp400.  I have two 5 gallon kegs currently in the garage cooling down with the wort in them.  My no chill beers so far have been great.  I haven’t had an infection with them yet and my beer always clears really well after a couple of weeks in the kegerator.  Another plus with doing no chill is that when I rack my beer to a fermenter I leave a TON of break material in the bottom of the kegs.  I get very clean beer going into the fermenter which helps keep the beer clear through out the whole process.

 

Malt Bill
Pounds Type
11.75 Pilsner
1.75 Honey Malt
Hops
IBU Type Time
16 Tettnanger 60
Mash Schedule
Temp Time
154F 60 minutes
175F Batch Sparge
170F Batch Sparge
Yeast White Labs WLP400 – Belgian Wit
Stats

10 gal

IBU: 16

No comments:

Post a Comment