Pages

Sunday, March 31, 2013

British Pub Ale – Take 2

 

My first Pub Ale turned out a bit on the sweet side.  My wife said it was still tasty, and I liked it …but it wasn’t what I was looking to brew.  This next beer will be used to either blend with the first one or be served as a second beer.  I bumped up the gravity a bit and gave it a “church mash”. 

“Church Mash” -  Mashed in with the grains and let it sit while I went to church.  I started the mash early and got to it a bit later after church so the mash was 3 hours.  At the end of the mash it was pretty thick.  I added my first sparge water just above the mash temperature to bring the grain bed back up to 152* and then vorlof’d the beer and then drained.  My second edition of sparge water was at mash out temperature. 

I found some old Goldings in my freezer from last year.  They still smelled passable so I adjusted their AA rating down from 5.8% to 5.2% and used them as my bittering hops.  I used my fresh EK Goldings as my flavor and aroma hops.  This years batch seems to be quite a bit better than last years.

The beer is sitting in a corny keg in my garage and will be fermented either tomorrow or Tuesday.  I haven’t checked on the original pub ale in a week or so.  Maybe I’ll check on it and be surprised.  I can think of worse problems than having 10 good gallons of beer on hand!

Malt Bill
Pounds Type
8 Maris Otter
.5 Crystal 90
.25 Honey Malt
Hops
IBU Type Time
26 UK Kent Golding 60
7 East Kent Golding 15
1 Oz East Kent Golding

5

Mash Schedule
Temp Time
152F 180 minutes
155F Batch Sparge
170F Batch Sparge
Yeast Safale S-04
Stats
5.5 gal 80% efficiency IBU: 36

No comments:

Post a Comment