Pages

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Dunkelweizen and Alte Braune


This is another double batch beer that I am going to be fermenting one half of it with a normal yeast for the style and souring the other half.  The Dunkelweizen is the second all grain recipe that I did after my switch from extract.  I took a keg of it to my work’s Christmas party and it was drained within a half hour (and we don’t have that many beer drinkers).  I told them I’d brew another keg of beer for the party and they all said “Make that beer you brought last year.”
I like Dunkelweizen, but not enough to drink 5 gallons of it by myself.  I’ll probably get enough of it at the party, but brewing a single batch of beer takes me as long as a double.  I got the idea of souring the second half and calling it an “Alte Braune”, Old Brown in German.  I am going to use Wyeast’s Roeselare Blend and rack the beer after a month or 2 to a Better Bottle.  I have heard that a Roeselare yeast cake changes as the bug count / Saccs ratio changes so I will add a 2nd beer after I rack this one.  I was thinking about making a Mild and souring that. 
When I rack the soured beer to the secondary I am going to add some dregs of Duchesse de Bourgogne and possible some Jolly Pumpkin La Roja if my local store ever gets some back in stock. 
Malt Bill
Pounds Type
11 Dark Wheat
7 Pilsner
2.5 Dark Munich
1 Caramunich II
1 Midnight Wheat
.75 Caramel Malt 120
Hops
IBU Type Time
15 Tettnanger 60
Mash Schedule
Temp Time
152F 60 minutes
170F Batch Sparge
170F Batch Sparge
Yeast I White Labs WLP300 Hefeweizen
Yeast II Wyeast 3763 Roeselare Ale Blend
Stats
12 gal 80% efficiency IBU: 15

2012-11-24_13-21-38_630 This is my mash tun at max capacity.  I might have been able to fit another pound of grain in …but it might make a mess.  I didn’t use any rice hulls in the mash and didn’t have any problems with my lautering.  Boil was pretty uneventful …All the protein in the wheat threatened to boil over a few times.  I ended up with 11.75 gallons of wort @ 1.059

*Note - I haven't ever used WLP300 before. I didn't realize it was such a violent fermenter ...and a true top cropping yeast.  Guess I should have used a blow-off tube!

(Ignore the horrible wallpaper)
2012-11-24_14-25-26_558

No comments:

Post a Comment