Pages

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Purple Parsnip Pumpkin Stout–p3

I made this pumpkin stout last year as a request from my wife.  She told me she wanted a beer that was pumpkin pie in a bottle.  I thought about changing around my basic stout recipe to give it a roasted background.  I like coffee with my pumpkin pie.

This is version 2 of this recipe.  The first recipe I used 5.5 lbs. of pumpkin puree.  Even with a pound of rice hulls it still took hours to lauter.  This version I reduced the amount of pumpkin a bit …but I don’t think that it will affect the overall beer that much.  Pumpkin is mostly unfermentable and last year I lost about 20% of this beer to trub.

Malt Bill
Pounds Type
6 Maris Otter
3.75 Libby’s Pumpkin Puree
1 Toasted Quick Oats
.5 Chocolate Malt
.38 (6 oz.) English Roasted Barley
1 Rice Hulls
1 tbsp. Penzey's Pumpkin Pie Spice (Flameout)
1 Split Vanilla Bean - Secondary
Hops
IBU Type Time
20 Golding 60
Mash Schedule
Temp Time
156F 60 minutes
170F Batch Sparge
170F Batch Sparge
Yeast Irish Ale
Stats
6 gal 80% efficiency IBU: 20

Toast both the pumpkin and the oats in the oven the day before in a 350* oven.  Turn oats over every 15-30 minutes for about an hour.  Cook the pumpkin until it looks like pumpkin pie.  Put pumpkin in the fridge until brew day and put the oats in a paper bag to cool.

I always mash in with my grain in my cooler first then add the water on top of it.  I know people talk about dough balls but I have never had a problem with this.  Add all your grains and 1/2 of the rice hulls to the cooler and mix.  I then mash in with my water a bit higher than what Beersmith recommends and let it sit for a minute.  Then I stir in the additional rice hulls and pumpkin.

Normally I don’t rack beers to secondaries unless there is a good reason.  I rack this one since it has a lot of solids to clear out in the beer.  At bottling I usually adjust the pie spice up a bit by adding it to my bottling sugar syrup.

No comments:

Post a Comment