Pages

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Hefeweizen

 

Another beer that I brewed for the Brew-n-Que and am just now doing a write-up on.  I wanted to make something refreshing, a little sweet and a good warm drinking weather beer.  Hefeweizen is a pretty good beer to fit the bill. 

I added dried orange peel to the beer to give it a little extra kick of citrus.  I had previously bought some “Cutie” oranges last year and noticed how easily they peeled and how little pith they had in them.  I used a grapefruit spoon to scrape out as as much pith as I could and put them in my circa 1980 food dehydrator.  I have used them in a few Belgian beers with good results and used most of what I had left in this beer.  I figure I'll server this beer with some orange slices for anyone who wants them.

I wanted just a little bit of spice in the beer besides the yeast so I added uncracked coriander to the beer along with the oranges to give it some background note spicing.

This recipe is a double batch with half of it going to my work for a happy hour or two.

Malt Bill / Ingredients
Pounds Type
12 2 Row
8 White Wheat Malt
1 Honey Malt
2 oz Dried Cutie Orange Peel (5 minute addition)
2 tsp Coriander (5 minute addition)
Hops
IBU Type Time
12 Tettnanger 60
4 Tettnanger 15
Mash Schedule
Temp Time
152F 60 minutes
Yeast White Labs WLP300 - Hefeweizen
Stats
12 gal 80% efficiency IBU: 36

No comments:

Post a Comment