Pages

Sunday, December 29, 2013

Blue Moon Clone

Lately when I go to bars and I’m not in the mood for craft beer I have been getting Blue Moon.  I started thinking that Blue Moon would be something I could have on tap to be my every day drinking beer.  I remembered I subscribed to a thread on Homebrewtalk.com in which Wayne1, an ex Coors Sandlot Brewer, posted details about Blue Moon …at least how it was made 13 years ago.  I decided to make 2 kegs worth of this beer to either ferment the second batch for me or to take into work.

One complaint was the run off time with the Wheat and the Oats causing slow sparges.  I added a pound of rice hulls to the mash to help counter this.  By the second batch sparge things were still draining slow.  I don’t know if more rice hulls would help with this kind of grain bill.  The second sparge did drain eventually but it took as long to run off the second sparge as it did the original mash and first sparge. 

I pulverized the spices in my spice grinder and added them at the times indicated. 

Malt Bill / Ingredients
Pounds Type
9lbs 12oz Pale Malt
7lb 12oz White Wheat Malt
2 Flaked Oats
Adjuncts
1 Rice Hulls
.75 tsp Sweet Orange Peel – 5 minutes
2.5 tsp Coriander – 10 minutes
Hops
IBU Type Time
16 Hallertau 90
Mash Schedule
Temp Time
150F 90 minutes
Yeast US-05
Stats
11 gal 75% efficiency IBU: 16

No comments:

Post a Comment