Pages

Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Midweek Brew Day - Kolsch

My boss has requested a beer for a Memorial Day weekend party that he is going to.  The only way I am going to get this beer fermented, kegged, and carbed was to brew it soon.  Since I will be out of town this weekend I am brewing this beer on a weeknight…which I don’t do very often.  With 2 kids I am usually in bed by 10 or so and exhausted.  Luckily my wife stepped up extra tonight and I had enough kid free time to brew!

Since Kolsch is something that I really enjoy drinking (Schlafly Kolsch is my all time favorite) I am brewing a double batch.  I am doing a single hop, 3 additions to this beer.  Tettnang this year has a great aroma to it and am looking forward to making a few beers with it out of the pound I ordered.   I missed my mash temperature the first go so my mash turned into an infusion mash.  The first step was 144* for 20 minutes.  The second step was 150* for 70 minutes.

Malt Bill / Ingredients
Pounds Type
14lbs Pilsner
4lb Munich 10
2lb White Wheat Malt
Hops
IBU Type Time
19 Tettnang 60
5.8 Tettnang 20
2 Tettnang 5
Mash Schedule
Temp Time
150F 90 minutes
Yeast White Labs WLP-029
Stats
11 gal 85% efficiency IBU: 26-27

No comments:

Post a Comment